Translate?

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Did You Just Say 'Unfair'?

Today's post is inspired by Marvin D. Wilson who recently posted about a mother and her son who has a disorder. No, I'm not going talk about any of these but in that post, it reminded me of how foolish I was when I was younger.

As a young girl, I always wanted Barbie dolls of all collections - though, they look all the same. I will always beg my dad to buy for me since my mum was no supporter at all. My dad often would give in as my sister and I were/are his little girls. But even when I got what I wanted, I felt a part of me was empty.

I saw a cute outfit at a shop. I tried it on and let my mum see. She could see how much I wanted the outfit so she bought it for me. Still, I felt empty.

We went to have dinner at Denise with my grandparents. The food was delicious, drinks were sparkling and the atmosphere was jazzy...I've eaten like I never eaten before. But still something was empty.

One day, I spotted my favourite food on the table. I told them not to eat it and I went upstairs to have a quick shower. Upon my return, the food was gone. I was so mad and I demanded who ate it.

"I ate it." my sister said.

I was so furious. "Why did you have to eat it? I told you it was mine, right?"

"You can eat something else." my mum pointed out.

"This is so unfair." I muttered.

My mum heard what I just said but kept quiet throughout dinner. When everyone left the dining room, she asked me to sit down. Obediently, I sat down, not knowing what is to come.

She said:

'You keep on saying your life is unfair. Do you know how your gred-grandparents suffered during the World War Two? They had to hide and run in the forest. The only food they got were raw potatoes and gingers from underground. They were risked being killed by the Communists anytime.

And have you read the paper today? A 13 year old who wakes up 3 am in the wee hours to go to the rubber estate and help her mum who later on has to get ready for school by 6 am? Her father passed away a long time ago and she never had a father's love. She does not know what trendy clothes are nor what home sweet home is.

Do you see my point here, Qamarina?

You have a father while some never met theirs; you get to sleep in you warm, cozy bed while some sleep by the sidewalk; you get to see daylight and the moon while others only see darkness; you get to run in the field with your friends while some don't even have legs; you get to eat 3 meals per day while some only get 2% of what you are eating. Now...tell me, what is so unfair about your life?'

At that point, she made me reazlied how foolish and blinded I was. It changed me. But sometimes, when I slipped that words - 'life's so unfair' out, I quickly slapped my mouth and make a silent prayer how lucky I am to be here - to have what others don't.

Life is not based on what you have but what you did. If you do good things, you have lead a good life with many people remmebring you after you are gone.

And to those children who has the same condition as Zack, God has given you a gift as Marvin said. You have eyes to see, voice to speak out and mind to think -- when some can't even move their lips.

Maybe your life is not as perfect as others but God did send you down for a reason. Find that reason and live your life to the fullest.

starving children Pictures, Images and Photos

6 comments:

rory said...

just beautiful :)

Marvin D. Wilson said...

Powerful and well written. You are growing up in wisdom, young lady. Got a great Mum there, too (smile) Sometimes we need to have things put in perspective for us.

Marvin D Wilson
http://inspiritandtruths.blogspot.com/

A. K. said...

Wow! Sweety that was awesome! One of the best Posts I have ever read. It was very inspiring.Keep up the cool work..Rock on!

Girl Next Door said...

Yup ! this is very true. We always keep on blaming God for something or the other instead of thinking about what we are Blessed with.

For me the one reason to live is My Family who has always been there to support me. They have made me well efficient so that I can take my own decisions and can judge what's good and what's bed for me. :)

CutePriya said...

Great post...I always thank god and my parents for what they have given me...for me life has never been so easy...but, whenever I feel like I am not contented I recall Mahatma Gandhi's (the legendary leader) Talisman. Here it goes like:

I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test:

Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen and ask yourself if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him.

Will he gain anything by it? Will it restore him to a control over his own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to Swaraj for the hungry and spiritually starving millions?

Then you will find your doubts and yourself melting away.

Hope you would like it too.

Love,
CutePriya

Shanya said...

Gr8 post qm .... dang now i dont need an ipod! Hahahhaha