Translate?

Thursday, April 7, 2011

When Photos Speak





Photos. What do they mean to you? Memories. Happiness. Gratefulness. Sometimes, feelings that cannot be explained at all. It may sound silly but have you noticed all the photos that you have taken? I mean for yourself, personally and then, you compile those photos into albums. Have you noticed....how happy those little, plastic-like objects could be?

I can guarantee that none of the photos pictures something sad or somber. It's always filled with endless smiles, frozen laughs and warmth in every shot you take. That's the beauty of it - it is as though we could freeze time and capture that very moment forever. After a month, the photos will still be there. After 10 years, they will still be there, smiling as if nothing has changed.

To me, it's a way to savour every happiness we get and find in life. It's always easier to think and remember the sad and painful moments - which we clearly do not want to remember anymore than it is to relive those priceless and wonderful times. That's the reason why I feel that photography has been so important in this world. We are so afraid to lose happiness. We fear that we will forget the happiness we have.

Once in a while, open the photo album and look through every photos. Then, look at yourself in the mirror. What do you see? I see myself as the person I was back then. Probably younger, naive and carefree. To see myself in those photos, it is as though I'm watching my life story. No words, just images. No words, just feelings. You watch yourself grow up in every photo, what has changed and what has remained.

Sometimes it is not easy to look at some photos either. It could turn to tears instead, a frown. Sadness whelms up inside and before you know it, your heart would be crying out loud than your eyes could ever do. Though it is the sadness of missing something, someone. You miss those people around you, you miss that happy moment which you wished never end and simply because, you know no matter what you do, there is no way you can go back and relive that moment again.

Funny, isn't it? How we can freeze time but not relive it. How can we look at those faces in those photos and wish so badly that we can talk to them, and just say: "I miss you." What hurts the most is that it may be the only time you'll ever see some of those people again. You lose touch, they move away and all you left is a fragile memory holder in your hand.

We hang up photos in every angle of our houses. We placed wedding photos at the side of our beds. We sticked our friends photos in our books. Every time we walked past those photos, we have the urge to stop and just look at them for a while. Every morning when we wake up and look at our bed side, you can't help but think: "I made the best decision in my life." Anytime you feel down or broken, your friends are just smiles away, looking at you and you know what they would exactly say.

These photos give us strength. They give us meanings that we would only understand. They give us hope when all seem lost.

Photos hold so much memories for us. It reminds me sometimes of how lucky I am to be able to go through so many wonderful moments. Chances of reliving similar moments are slim - and maybe, I don't want to relive them anymore. Not because it hurts or anything but I guess they are right where they're supposed to be: memories.



2 comments:

A. K. said...

THe moment i see that pic i feel like running into my bed with a bag of chips and watching a movie... LOl..

Long time uhh.,.. How are you

QM said...

Hahahaha!

I'm good :) Just been so so busy :s