Translate?

Sunday, March 10, 2013

It's a Metaphor, You See?


At the request of Shuf, I shall write a review about The Fault in Our Stars (although I'm quite sucky at writing reviews)

*SOME SPOILER ALERT*  Don't say I didn't warn you.


Within the first few pages of the book, I kind of knew where this story would lead me to. Two cancer patients fall in love and at the end, one of them would die. So I was quite nervous when I was reading it, because I knew what was going happen, I just didn't know how it was going happen. To which, I must say, John Green pulled it off really well, I was consumed by the words and contents - and not the plot (but I was so so devastated)

The story begins from this girl, a cancer patient named Hazel Grace but the turning point starts when she meets the boy wonder, Augustus Waters (who's actually NEC) at the support group who was there to support his friend, Issac. Augustus being the charismatic and oh-so gorgeous person he is (yes, yes, I've met him) hit it off with Hazel.

He has this habit of calling her, "Hazel Grace", instead of "Hazel", which for some odd reason I found such a....turn on?

But that would not be the case if someone were to call me in my full name. It's just too long. *sigh*

Anyway, back to the review.

I was very much in love with all the characters, especially Hazel's parents. They were so sweet and caring and I like how they were her best friends. I  BUT I COULD NOT STAND PETER VAN HOUTEN. There were countless of times I felt like stabbing a knife through the book so he would just shut up. I pitied him, a bit, at the near endings of the book but I still could not wholly feel sorry for him.

However, I guess why I really, really like the book is because of its transparency about life and death. The characters were honest; there was no hidden meaning or riddles needed to be broken. The glimpse of reading people suffering from cancer minds, those living with them and how evidently, how people deal with death. When I say people, I do mean the dying and the living. I think that's why I love Hazel + Augustus, because the conversations they had were something that they only understood, similar to speaking a foreign language that only two of them understood.

Augustus is really, such a romantic but not the cheesy kind. I was expecting it to be like Nicholas Sparks-ish kind of romance but this totally caught me off guard. It wasn't the sort of far, far away land; it was closer to home and simple but sweet. He was flirty but not too flirty, and he really, just, really love Hazel. Oh. My. God. I can't do this. (I WANT MY AUGUSTUS. WHERE ARE YOU, HONEY PIE????!)

The part where he used his Wish to bring her to meet her favourite writer in Holland. I just died. And the thing I really like about Augustus is, even though he wasn't particularly a huge an of Peter Van Houten, he liked him enough because Hazel like him, as Augustus felt she had given him a special gift by introducing her favourite book. (And again, THIS IS SO RELEVANT SO WHERE CAN I FIND A GUY LIKE AUGUSTUS???!!!!?!?)

I cried at many parts when reading the book and I don't think I've cried this many times for a book. A Walk to Remember and The Kite Runner teared me up but this took me to a whole new level. However, unlike the Kite Runner, I could re-read TFIOS again and again without feeling like I'm murdering someone. For two consecutive days, I was depressed. Even now, writing about this, I think....I think I'm choking up.

Especiallu Augustus and Hazel's "okay" being their always. I JUST --

If I were a guy, I'd totally date and marry Hazel. Usually I'll have this reader-characters conflict when it comes to the main female character. A clear example was Annabeth from Percy Jackon's series and Katniss from Hunger Games. If you have read the books, you would probably understand what I mean. Sometimes I feel that some authors try too much in building up the female characters, to the point where instead of being strong, they appear weak; instead of being elegant, they become whiny. Hazel, on the other hand, was such a wonderful contrast compared to Annabeth and Katniss.

Oh! And do you realise almost every female characters in nearly every book is a book worm? Just a thought.

I can really go on and on but I think I should end it here before I wind up re-writing the whole story.

By the way, this, this is when I bawled my eyes and figured if anyone can love someone this much. *sniffs*


"I will not tell you our love story, because-like all real love stories- it will die with us, as it should. I’d hoped that he’d be eulogizing me, because there’s no one I’d rather have…, I can’t talk about our love story, so I will talk about math. I am not a mathematician, but I know this: There are infinite numbers between 0 and 1. There’s .1 and .12 and .112 and an infinite set of numbers between 0 and 2, or between 0 and a million. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities. A writer we used to like taught us that. There are days, many of them, when I resent the size of my unbounded set. I want more numbers for Augustus Waters than he got. But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn't trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I’m grateful."


1 comment:

Shufei Ewe said...

I KNOW RIGHT. Literally every girl who has read this book has probably fallen in love with Augustus Waters not because he's a wisecrack but because his love for Hazel is undeniable and the way they interacted was absolutely AMAZING.

Your quote at the end. Oh my god that killed me. I think it was at that point I started weeping like a sad baby on my bed. It was horrid. :'(